I’ve been doing a ton of self reflection lately and I found this neat list of 50 questions to ask someone if you’d really like to get to know them, so I thought, hey, why not just answer them myself because I’m vain and I’ve had quite a few new followers lately so this can be their chance to get to know me a little bit as well. So without further a due.
1. What’s one thing that’s happened to you that has made you a stronger person?
I’ve had a really rocky relationship with one of my parents since I was a teen and I was put through a lot of really unfortunate situations as a result that were far beyond my years. I think it allowed me to mature quicker, but also realize that just because people are blood, it doesn’t mean they’re allowed to hurt you.
2. What’s one thing that’s happened to you in your life that made you feel weak?
Honestly, nothing comes to mind. I think the toughest situations I’ve been in have only given me an excuse to better myself, so nothing really comes to mind.
3. Where is one place you feel most like yourself?
My bed, in a baggy t-shirt, with my kitty cuddled up next to me. Which is exactly what’s going on right now haha.
4. Where is your favourite place to escape to?
My home town. Which I think is kind of the opposite of how most people feel. Going home to me is always like a little holiday. I can ignore my phone, I have no where to be, I don’t have to go to school. I can just enjoy time with family and friends and be as off the grid as I’d like.
5. Who do you think has had the largest influence on the person you are today?
This may be a cheap answer, but my whole family has done such an incredible job of influencing me in the best ways. I’ve been so fortunate to grow up with a small army of powerful women. I’ve learnt to value strength and independence over lust and co-dependency and I think that’s so important.
6. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
I would really like to be more independent. It almost feels silly to say because I live alone and I function so much on a daily basis by myself. But I find I rely on the confirmation of others while making decisions and I think having more trust in myself would be a good thing. It’s something I’m working on.
7. If you had one day left to live, what would you do first?
I would write letters to everyone that I love, eat some pho and play with my cat. That would be my whole day.
8. What decade do you feel you most belong in?
One that hasn’t happened yet. I guess if I had to choose, the 80’s. I like their music and films. Young John Cusack, hello.
9. Who are you closest to in your family? Why?
My sister, hands down. I think mainly because we are so similar, but she’s stronger than me in so many ways. She brings out the best parts of me and spending time with her is just like spending time with a real-life version of my subconscious, in the way that I feel no sense of judgement or expectations. I’m just fully my unfiltered self and I think that’s really neat.
10. Who is the one person in the world that knows you best?
Sydney. Arguably she knows me too well hahahah. I have to start so many messages to her with “this is super nasty but…”. She’s my soul mate best friend and I trust her with my life.
11. What is your favourite quality about your best friend?
That she’s wonderfully outspoken. She speaks about what she believes in and doesn’t allow anyone to walk all over her. I really admire her passion and dedication towards the issues that are important to her.
12. When you were younger what did you think you were going to be when you grew up?
13. If you could identify with one fictional character (from a book, show, or movie) who would it be?
Tina Belcher, hands down. She’s the perfect mix of confident, awkward and down right strange. And she likes butts and zombies so we’re essentially the same person.
14. Do you easily accept compliments? Or do you hate compliments?
I enjoy compliments from like a significant other type-of-person because I feel like I depend on affirmation haha. But it makes me really awkward to receive compliments from people I’m not close with.
15. Is your favourite attribute about yourself physical or non-physical?
16. What is your favourite physical attribute about yourself?
My forearms. They’re covered in the cutest little freckles and I just love it.
17. What is your favourite non-physical attribute about yourself?
I’m very introspective and I think it’s allowed me to be a better friend, family member, girlfriend, etc.
18. Do you believe in love at first sight?
19. Do you believe in soul mates?
A little bit less so lately, but ultimately, yes.
20. How seriously do you take horoscopes?
Far too seriously. My ex used to always make fun of me because I believe in magic and mermaids and all that stuff, and one time I read my horoscope on the bus and it said that my plans were going to get cancelled and I was bummed because I had plans to see a flick with two of my friends. So I ended up making it to the movies and we had just gotten our food and I told my friend how my horoscope said my plans would get cancelled so I was happy neither of them called to bail and we laughed, and we sit down in the theatre and I kid you not we just finished getting comfortable and the fire alarms went off in the building and we had to evacuate. So, I take them pretty seriously.
21. Have you ever been in love? How many times?
I think I’ve experienced love-like feelings 3 times. But my memories fade fast sadly, and so after I haven’t been dating someone for a while it’s hard for me to say if it really was love, because I so quickly forget how my feelings towards that person felt.
22. What makes you fall in love with someone?
Their mind. That’s super general, but I think I fall in love with people’s passions, the things they get excited to talk about, the parts of themselves they are the most proud of.
23. What does vulnerability mean to you? What has the ability to make you vulnerable?
I think vulnerability is just being honest. Providing someone with an unfiltered version of yourself. As soon as someone starts talking about their relationship with their parents I get weepy and that’s probably the quickest path to making me vulnerable.
24. What’s one thing you’re scared to ask a man, but really want to?
I don’t really think I’m scared per se, but I would like to ask men in general why the fuck they suck so much. Honestly, I’m horrendously disappointed in the male species. I think I’ve come off as an angry feminist a lot in this post, it’s actually just because my love-life sucks and I’m bitter haha.
25. If you were a man for a day, what would be the first thing you would do?
I’d apologize to my mother, for having grown me inside of her for 10 months, only for me to exit her womb with more rights than her.
26. What do you find most attractive about each sex?
I like men’s shoulders. There’s something about freckled shoulders that make me just want to snuggle up to them and smother them with kisses. I feel like that’s a super odd thing to say, but it’s a bit of a weakness of mine.
I find women’s eyes really intriguing. I think because women tend to wear make up more and can accentuate their eyes as well.
27. What’s one thing you’d love to learn more about?
I’d love to learn more about nutrition. Mainly because I honestly think I’m malnourished. I have such a horrid diet it’s actually awful. I’m a vegetarian but an absolute shit one. Sometimes I think I should start eating meat again but then I remember the only meat I really liked purchasing was beef jerky and hot dogs so then I decide not to. But ya, I’d really like to learn more about nutrition, having a balanced diet, etc.
28. What is something you’ve never done that you’ve always wanted to?
I’ve always wanted to drive a motorcycle.
29. Why haven’t you done it?
Well I don’t have my motorcycle license. But! I think I may get it in the spring! So it’s a work in progress.
30. If money didn’t matter, what would your dream job be?
A midwife. Which is what I’m on my path to now. So we’ll see.
31. If you had off from work today, what would you do?
Well, I only worked til 6pm today and I spent the rest of my evening blogging and watching youtube videos, so probably something similar to that.
32. What was the last thing to make you cry?
It makes me angry that I even have to say this, but it was a boy. I was re-reading past messages I had received from him like a sad melodramatic teen in a rom-com and I had myself a little cry. But then I wiped my tears and told myself that he’s a sociopath and I moved on with my life.
33. What was the last thing to make you laugh?
Oh my god. This thing on twitter.
34. What is your favourite memory?
I don’t think it’s happened yet.
35. What’s the last thing that really embarrassed you?
Honestly, probably something that happened the last time I was drunk. I can’t tell you exactly what it was, but I know that’s when I tend to embarrass myself. I’m a very touchy, honest drunk and I know I get myself in some predicaments. So probably sometime then.
36. What is your biggest fear?
That I am infertile. I know it seems like a silly thing, but I’ve dreamt of being a mother for so long, it would absolutely crush me.
37. Do you have any regrets? What’s your biggest one?
I have three regrets in my life time.
The first, is that when I was at the Eiffel Tower in Paris, a boy approached me and I swear to you he was a vision sent by the universe straight from my subconscious. He was my dream boy. He smiled at me and I genuinely looked behind me to see if there was anyone there because he was far too put together and handsome to be looking my way. He ended up approaching me and chatting for a while and I never got his name and I’ve regretted it ever since.
Secondly, is that I didn’t allow my mum and her late partner to have more time together. I was an incredibly selfish pre-teen and I think because my dad was quite neglectful I didn’t want my mother’s time to be on other people as well. I know I gave her a hard time over how much time she spent with him, but looking back, I wish I would have encouraged her to enjoy herself more. It’s nothing I can take back, but if I could, I would.
Thirdly, is that I filled myself with so much destructive self-hatred in my teen years, that honestly up until recently had really effected my self-esteem. I was a super confident youngster, but like I said, I greatly depend on the opinion of others and when people in high school made fun of my boobs and things like that, it made me incredibly self-conscious. I just wish I could go back in time and shake myself and say “Katie, you are perfect just the way you are, don’t listen to anyone.”
38. Have you ever broken a law? If you haven’t, what is one law you’d love to break?
I mean, I j-walk every day.
39. What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
I went bungee jumping once, that was fun. I also backpacked by myself for 5 weeks in Europe. It’s a fairly safe place to go I think but some people questioned my decision.
40. Would you have a conversation with a stranger?
Ya of course, I literally talk to strangers all the time. (Sorry mum, clearly I didn’t learn the most basic rules from childhood – although the public chatter gene does seem to be hereditary).
41. Would you tell a stranger that have toilet paper hanging from their shoe? Or their dress is tucked into their underwear? (Or anything else that is embarrassing to be seen in public)?
I mean, of course. Just last week I was on the bus and this man’s fly was down and really open, but I think he thought I was checking him out and he gave me a weird look so I just thought to myself “fine, let the jerk walk around with his fly down”. But if he hadn’t given me the low brow, I would have told him to spare him any further embarrassment.
42. What’s your favourite joke?
Oh gosh, I don’t really think I have one.
43. Are you a dog person or a cat person?
If my instagram is any indication, I’m a cat person. I talk about and photograph my cat Posie far, far too much.
44. If you could be any animal, what animal would you be?
A cat I think. Just because you literally spend your whole day napping, you don’t give a shit about anyone and you still have the whole internet going crazy over your kind. It’s sort of magical if you think about it.
45. What’s one show, movie, or book, you’re embarrassed to admit you enjoy?
I really enjoy adult cartoons. My favourites are Rick & Morty, Bob’s Burgers, Bo Jack Horseman, Young Justice and South Park. I usually don’t tell people.
46. How do you think your parents would describe you as a child?
That’s a good question. Selfish-af? Not really problematic? I think generally ok haha.
47. If you could go back to any age or time of your life, what age or time would that be?
I would go back to when I was 14 years old. I would hug my poppa, Doc, and my grandma. Basically just soak up time with all my favourite people who were taken from me too soon. I would tell them all I love them and create more memories with them then I have now.
I would also tell myself to learn to love myself before letting anyone else love me. I think that’s important too.
48. What’s something you believe in that not everyone else does?
Equality. This was just meant to be a sassy answer, but I’m also not really joking, yikes.
49. What’s one thing you would say that makes you unique from other people?
I don’t really know if I’m capable of a unique thought. There isn’t anything about me that is inherently unique.
50. What’s one thing you feel your life is missing?
Family. I have no family in the city I’m living in and I honestly miss it constantly. I also can’t wait to have a family of my own. I yearn for family in many different ways haha.
I hope you enjoyed these 50 questions/answers. I know some of my answers are probably a little bizarre, but I started this post at 8:30pm and it is now 1:50am so my answers have gotten a little bit more obscure the further I dived into the dark hole that is youtube. I watched a lot of Graham Norton clips. I hope you all had a lovely weekend, until next time…